Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Fearful, Sad Celebration














"Where Were You (When the World Stopped Turning)?" by Alan Jackson is a clear reminder of how we all felt on September 11, 2001. For TC and me, it began as a great day of celebration because it was our 25th Wedding Anniversary, a day we will relive for years to come. Even as I am editing this blog and listening to the music, I can't help but shed a few tears...it's like it was yesterday.

Picture ten miles in your mind--the distance from Savage to Crane. Perhaps it's how far you drive to attend a movie, do some shopping, or take your child to a special park to play. It seems so close, doesn't it? Terry was working less than 10 miles from the Pentagon that morning, operating heavy equipment for the groundwork of a new housing development.

Picture twenty miles in your mind--the distance from Savage to Sidney. Do you realize that it's 20 miles from the Billings Heights to Zoo Montana on the West End? Perhaps it's how far you travel to your favorite fishing spot. Or maybe it's how far you drive, take a bus, or even a subway to visit your loved ones. It seems so close, doesn't it? That was the distance from my workplace to Washington, DC.

I had been at work for less than an hour when my boss summoned the staff to her office. Her teary eyes were glued to the television screen watching clips of the first hit on the World Trade Center. The horror in the commentator's voice and the eerie silence of my five co-workers, except for the small gasps of disbelief, seemed surreal. When the second tower was hit, the tears began flowing from us all as we joined hands and prayed for the injured and dying, for their families, for the rescue workers who would be called upon to miraculously save as many lives as they possibly could, and for those feeling the pain of all this senselessness.

At 9:20 the ringing of a single phone brought us back to reality. The call was from Noelle's acquaintance who worked at the British Embassy. He quickly informed her that there was another plane in flight, and it was headed for Washington. He also told her that two F-16's had been dispatched. Why? He didn't say, but in the back of our minds I'm sure we were all thinking the same thing. We hadn't heard that shocking news on the telecast yet, but it inevitably sent chills down my spine as fear now replaced sorrow. Where would it hit? Am I in danger here? What about Terry? Am I being a thoughtless and selfish person while others are losing their lives?

As horrible thoughts of death ravaged through my mind, I rushed to my office for my cell phone. I called TC, and only heard voice mail. I left a message...told him to call me right away. I just needed to hear his voice. That phone never left my side the entire workday, but it never rang either. In fact, none of the phones were ringing...they had gone dead. Within a half hour, news of the Pentagon being struck by a plane flashed across the screen. Oh no....my boss had worked at the Pentagon for 12 years and had many friends still employed there. She was devastated! Thank God our prayers were answered and that none of her friends lost their lives that day.

Now I began thinking of my own friends and what they must be feeling. Adrienne, a dear companion of mine, had just moved to Cape Cod. Her daughter worked for Morgan Stanley Associates at the World Trade Center. I couldn't imagine what Adrienne must be feeling when she heard of the attack. The next day I was finally able to reach her and learned that her daughter had had an early breakfast meeting and was two blocks from the World Trade Center when it was struck. Prayers had once again been answered. However, her daughter Lisa did lose more than a thousand friends that day. She left NYC but eventually returned to once again work for Morgan Stanley

I thought of Bill, our neighbor, who worked at the FAA Headquarters in the District. I remembered that he was actually in Alaska on business, so I knew he was safe. Then there was Nancy, his wife, an air traffic controller. I learned later of her harrowing experience.

It was to be her day off, but as soon as the World Trade Center was hit, she was called into work. It was a 15-mile drive to Leesburg for her; and once she reached the facility, she realized the magnitude of the situation. As she parked her vehicle, she saw military personnel armed with machine guns surrounding the building. By this time, all planes had been grounded, and it was her job to make sure that no one, absolutely no one, would fly on the eastern seaboard.

She told us later about one specific gentleman who insisted that he get permission to fly his private jet out of the area. He was absolutely belligerent, but she told him emphatically, "My orders are to tell you...if you fly, your plane WILL BE shot down." Needless to say, even if he thought he was above and beyond the law, he wisely chose not to fly that day. It's rather scary to think, however, that it could actually have happened.

Regarding Terry, the phone call finally came as I was on my way home from work. I wish that he would have called sooner, but thank God he was safe. My prayers had been answered once again. We went out for dinner that night, but it was the saddest celebration ever. It was only then that he relayed his own hair-raising experience.

While running heavy equipment he listens to the radio all day long (probably why he can't hear his cell phone). He knew of the attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon and knew that all aircraft had been grounded. Feeling his machinery begin to vibrate and hearing a thunderous roar above him, he looked up only to find a huge plane flying so low (he estimated several hundred feet) that he said he could read the writing on the bottom of it. As shivers covered him, his first thought was that of yet another attack on Washington. Later, we learned that aircraft from overseas were still being allowed to land at Reagan National Airport rather than Newark or Atlanta.

We have been to Ground Zero since that day; and as I watched the ceremony yesterday for those who lost their lives on Flight 93, which crashed in Pennsylvania, I was appalled to learn that the monument is not finished because of a lack of funds. I felt ashamed that our government could be so insensitive to those who lost their loved ones.

September 11, 2001--I don't think I have to worry about TC ever forgetting our anniversary in coming years...and I already know what the topic at dinner will be as we count our blessings. For any of you who lost loved ones on this saddest of days, please know that we continue to pray for you. God Bless You All.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this with us. I cannot begin to imagine what it was like to be that close to the horror. I was across the country in Idaho, the Snake River Canyon. I remember watching it on the TV as it was my day off and the first week we had gotten cable so I was catching up on the news. The fighter jets from Mountain Home Air Force Base were flying low in the canyon to avoid radar. It was scary to see that on the news, have them flying overhead and not knowing what was going to happen next.

    I am also very thankful that you and TC are here to share the stories with the rest of us. We shall never forget!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been back to Ground Zero twice...once when it was a hole in the ground surrounded by a fence still lined with flowers, teddy bears, and photos. So sad. We were back again in 2013 to see the memorial and the building of the new towers. It was so quiet and serene...people were so respectful...and yet so sad. If you ever get the opportunity to go to NYC, I hope you take the time to visit the memorial.

      Delete