Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Expect the Unexpected! (Part 1--Equipment Galore!)

When I chose to become a business teacher, I knew that changes in technology were inevitable, but never in my wildest dreams did I expect to find myself on camera teaching to students in another school miles from home. ITV? What's that? I've never heard of such a thing. Interactive Television Video? That's too complicated for me. After all, I was the teacher who had her students set up the VCR, the laser disc player, and other pieces of classroom equipment because plugs, cords, outlets, remote controllers, and I just did not mix well.

The local communications company constructed an ITV classroom which would literally connect five rural schools and a community college, enabling students to take classes that were not normally available to them. As my superintendent gave me a tour of the classroom, he briefly explained the advantages of "long-distance learning," demonstrated how a teacher could teach two classrooms of students simultaneously, and then broadsided me with..."I have 'volunteered' you to teach a general business course from here to Sidney." In passing, he mentioned that the remote classroom would have a teacher "monitor" to assist me should I need any help. The entire time I am thinking to myself, "He has more faith in me than I do!"

What was he thinking anyway! Just because I was always experimenting with new teaching techniques, it didn't mean that I truly wanted to adventure out of my own "safe" classroom world into someone else's. He further explained that I was to take a 3-day course to learn how to use each piece of equipment (Oh, brother! That proved to be interesting!). Just show me again how you did that picture in a picture--I really don't care what color of clothing I should wear to look good on camera!




Students doing their own experimentation with the equipment.

Now it was time to master this technological "Eighth Wonder of the World" which included four television monitors, various types of cameras, speakers, VCR's to record both classrooms as well as play instructional videos, and a fax machine to exchange paperwork and receive homework.

Several weeks into the semester I thought that perhaps I was worrying for no reason. The class was going well, and it appeared that I had conquered my fear of the "Eighth Wonder." Even the students learned to operate the equipment as they demonstrated class projects in front of the cameras.

I made a point to visit the remote classroom often to develop a relationship with my "new" students. As I was introducing myself to the Sidney class as "The New Kid on the Block," the superintendent stopped by to observe the class and found me performing "live" that day. I had only met him once and was glad to have him on board. That is until one of my students raised his hand and inquired, "Did you ever have Leslie McPherson as a student?" I replied, "Oh, yes, and she was such a sweet girl." He beamed with pride as he told me, "She's my mother!" (Yikes! This wasn't exactly what I had expected!) "Oh, please tell her hello for me, but you should know that I started teaching at age 10. I'm REALLY not THAT old!" As the room filled with laughter, I realized that this was going to be a fun time!


On Halloween Anthony (a Sidney student) presented me with the little fella shown here, which the classes appropriately named "Boo." He became our class mascot and rested comfortably on an overhead camera for all to see during my next three years in the ITV world.

Even today, he continues to be a part of my life, a fond memory from the past, as he watches over my grandchildren in the playroom.

With this first year successfully behind me, I found myself being approached by the Sidney principal who had additional plans for me. What assumed to be an ideal situation was soon to become a teacher's WORST NIGHTMARE!

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment