Sunday, November 21, 2010

Sensational Saturday!!

Almost eleven years ago I left the Savage High School classroom to "expand my horizons," thinking that I was leaving the town I had called "home" for the past 25 years never to return. I did, however, return for a high school graduation and a wedding, but never a sporting event.

Due to my daughter's listing on FB regarding my need to attend the upcoming state football championship game (even though she knew how much I dread the snow and cold weather), I was inundated with comments, pleas, and even bribes from friends and former students to attend the event.

Early Saturday morning as I peered out my front window at the snow piling up and as I listened intently to the Weather Channel's winter advisory warnings through Sunday, it would have been so easy to tell TC, "The weather is too bad...let's just stay home." I have to admit that I thought about it, but not for long. How could I possibly disappoint so many people though I knew they would understand if I chose not to go?

Despite the snow, the wind, the semi-trucks and car in the median and barrow pits along the interstate, two hours later we turned off the highway heading down Main Street in Savage. With an hour before game time, we decided to tour the town to see how much it had changed over the years. I admired the remodeled homes, the new decks and fences, the new bays added to the Fire Hall, and the new entrance to the Community Hall. I was most interested, though, in seeing how much the spindly, 12" evergreen trees I had planted two and a half decades earlier had grown. I was so awe-struck as they soared more than 20 feet high....awesome!! But when Terry turned down "Canal Street," (No, Nic, we weren't spying on you.) :) I knew it was time to head to Quale Field. :)

After finding the perfect parking spot where I could see the entire field as well as the scoreboard, I glanced at the outside temperature gauge...12 degrees! This heated truck seat felt sooooooo good as I watched the snow continue to fall, the field being brushed off, and the onlookers bundled up so tightly that I probably couldn't recognize anyone even if I tried. Once Terry left the vehicle and Janelle, Matt, and Jackson made their appearance in the bleachers, I knew I'd be venturing out soon. Even though I told Charity I was warming up until the start of the game, the heat was just too inviting as I watched the first half of the game from our pickup, cheering "GO WARRIORS" for the team (though I'm sure no one could hear me) and honking the horn when they scored.

After half-time, I donned a hooded sweatshirt over the one I was already wearing, added another coat and was set to brave the elements. Louie Reyna gave me the first of many, many bear hugs yesterday. Ohh...I think there was a conspiracy to see who could squeeze me the hardest, and I loved each and every one of them. My only disappointment was that I hadn't left the pickup earlier.

Naturally, I had to have one of my "senior" moments that proved I could still be an "air-head" at times! When Nicki Fischer and some "fella" approached me, he gave me a giant hug and started chatting with me. I looked at Nicki and she said, "You don't know who this is, do you?" ..."Nope." Oh my gosh! That was my moment because I knew she married Brady, but why would she be with someone else? Brady just didn't look like Brady...he had changed so much! Then again, I hadn't seen him since he was a freshman. I'm still laughing at what an idiot I was...not even putting two and two together. Perhaps it was the cold weather that gave me that temporary brain freeze. I am so sorry, Brady. :)

During the game and afterwards at the Hall, I had the opportunity to chat with former co-workers, parents, and so many of my former students. I loved spending those few minutes with each and every one of you...whether we talked about family, work, or school. Unfortunately, there were a few whom I never could find...next time for sure! Just like my evergreen trees, I have watched you grow from rambunctious children into beautiful young adults. I am proud to have been a part of your life and look forward to hearing from you in the future. (If you're not a member of my FB family, please take a moment to add me...the more, the merrier!)

Regarding the football game itself, the boys, none of which I actually know, made me feel as though I was once again a proud Warrior fan. They played as a team, gave every ounce of energy they could muster in such abominable weather, and held their heads high as they accepted the second-place trophy. What more could the outstanding coaches, the proud parents, and the exuberant fans ask of their team--a team that symbolizes such astounding Warrior Pride? Nothing--you have it all!

Because of your warmheartedness and extraordinary hugs, I will affectionately remember yesterday as my SENSATIONAL SATURDAY!

A WARRIOR FAN!

P.S. Amanda, you can just hold that dollar for my next trip to Savage. :)

2 comments:

  1. Sorry I didn't get to see you. I was taking tickets up at the playground. Well the boots were soaking wet as were my feet (obviously wore the wrong footwear) so I stayed in the pickup with the heater running. Would have liked to chat with you but then we had to go to Glendive for the wine and food fest. Next time for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes,,,I heard you were there...I couldn't go as I had the grandboys, 3 and 1 1/2 and Don was working in the Williston store and too cold to take them out..but I did manage to get in the vehicle 3 times and go check out the game. Wish I could have seen you! I have deactivated my acc't on facebook...so it's just e-mail gcarter@midrivers.com I love your blog...oh the memories!! Joyce

    ReplyDelete