Sunday, November 7, 2010

Special Words from My Son

It only seems appropriate that I share with you a memorable moment that I had with my son Jason, who has no idea how he made me feel so very special one particular evening years ago.

During his high school graduation ceremony, this mom never shed a tear because I knew that this was the beginning of his "real" life as he explored that great wide, wonderful world beyond his sanctuary called home. But there was sadness as TC and I drove away from Concordia College in Moorhead, Minnesota, where we had left him to begin his journey. I personally was hoping for a college slightly closer to home, but after weighing all of the scholarship offers and his non-stop pleas, the Concordia students, staff, and roomies became his new "family."

I eagerly awaited "Family Weekend," when we could spend quality time with him as well as attend the football game, social events, and most importantly of all, "The Showcase" on Saturday evening. Because Concordia College is known worldwide for its musical talent, the Showcase was attended by thousands of spectators during the two performances. It always included twelve single presentations of either individuals or groups chosen by a selection committee following hundreds of auditions.

As we headed to the auditorium, he revealed to us that he had been selected to perform in the Showcase. He would be playing the guitar and singing a song that he had written, "Two Homes, One Heart." Because he was performing in the first half of the program, he would join us at intermission. I was both excited and nervous for him, but I knew that he would do well--my naturally gifted musician.

Then the moment came...

The lights dimmed in the auditorium...he walked to center stage with guitar in hand, the spotlight and all eyes upon him. He introduced himself, gave a short synopsis of the song he had written, and then quietly and slowly said,

"I want to thank my parents for driving all night so they could be here with me this weekend. I love you, Mom." I had heard those four words from him thousands of times before, but at that very moment, my heart melted and the tears flowed. I'm not sure if it was those special words of love or the song that touched me; but when he found us during intermission, I stood and gave him the tightest hug ever.

I love you, Jason.

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment