Monday, November 1, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 54--My Family)

Even before my children were born, I knew that there would be huge obstacles to overcome while they were growing up; but they were much smarter than I had anticipated. I chuckle when I think about the times they were in trouble. I imagine that their knowing I wasn't able to "run" them down took all the fun out of the "chase." Instead, they would walk very, very slowly toward me with tears in their eyes. Poor babes!

My daughter Janelle
and her son Jackson, 6.
I knew I wouldn't be able to do certain activities with them such as play "tag," but I taught them to paint, to draw, to cook, to care for pets, as well as to share, to play nice, to be fair, to be kind and gentle, to be respectful and to be the best person they could be. 

I could, however, give them a lifetime hobby by spending hours upon hours with them on the golf course as soon as they became old enough to play. Every summer morning (barring rain) we would hit the course for our nine holes followed by lunch and sometimes a little shopping. This was our ritual until they became old enough to get summer jobs. I considered it our "bonding" time while they more than likely considered it "Keep Mom Happy" time. Of course, they became much better golfers than me, but we never were into actually keeping score. I did tally up the unusual "hits," though, which included one bird, one squirrel, and one horse. What fun we had! I'm happy to say that every summer we all vacation together, and it usually includes at least one round of golf.

I encouraged my children to be individuals rather than going with the crowd. As they found various activities to join, I found myself being the supportive mom attending basketball, volleyball, track, hockey and horseshoe pitching competitions. (I'm so grateful they never wanted to learn to ski.) I was sometimes an overzealous fan, but I was there, win or lose.

Jacob, 7, Nicole, Norah, 1,
Leif, 5, and my son Jason.
When I needed them most, they, in return, were there for me. After my second hip surgery, I was resting permanently in a recliner when they presented me with two homemade coupon books filled with pages of tasks they were willing to do for me. They were 9 and 11 at the time and were so proud to do their share. The tasks ranged from cleaning their rooms, doing dishes, mopping the floor, tackling the laundry, to "Pick a chore." I couldn't have been  prouder of them than I was at that one uniquely memorable moment. I used several of the coupons for the easier chores, but felt that the loving gesture was more than enough for this mom.

Terry (TC) and me
Terry is the love of my life, my "true friend." In all our years together, I can't recall his ever asking anything of me. Rather, I feel as though I've lived my life on a pedestal. He would do anything I asked of him. Sometimes it might take awhile, even up to a year, (especially if there's a good "game" on television), but eventually it would get done.

When our children were growing up, he was the perfect dad spending all his free time with them, doing the things I wasn't able to do. But all the children in the neighborhood loved Terry. I recall the time I found a little guy sitting on our deck waiting for TC to get home from work. When I asked him why he was waiting, he asked me, "Is Terry going to the "dump" (to empty trash) today? Could I ride along?" Of course, Terry wasn't planning to make the trip that day, but within minutes of getting home, Terry had Jason, Janelle, and Brady in the truck heading toward  the "dump."

Even now when our grandchildren stay with us, they wait patiently for Grandpa Terry to get home from a 12-16 hour workday because they know that he will take them fishing, or take them to get a movie, or take them for a ride in search of prairie dogs.

I can't imagine what my life would have been like if it weren't for him. He is and always has been the ultimate husband, father, and grandfather, the love of all our lives. We love you..


To My Readers:

God bless you all and may your life be pain free and as fulfilling as mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment