Sunday, October 31, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 53--Understanding)

It wasn't until after I received my new hip joint that I truly understood why my mother kept secrets. I found myself constantly thinking of the doctor's outlook--15 years looking through rose-colored glasses. Every ache and pain would cause me to wonder if the time had come. I despised the worrying and tried desperately to block it from my mind. But I also remembered my mother telling a doctor he was wrong when he said I would never walk again. That's the attitude I chose--the positive side of pain knowing that it would someday subside.

Eight years later the socket was replaced, and according to the doctor, that could be expected because I was still young and quite active. What he didn't expect, though, was the ball joint of the original replacement hip to last 29 years, being replaced just two years ago...a miracle in my eyes. When I learned several months ago of a hip joint "recall," I found it rather humorous, but still made a point to check with my doctor regarding my "model" type because I didn't need the stress of the unknown. Thank goodness I have a Bio-Met and not the DePuy. Whew!

In the early '90's I was visiting Sherry when she informed me that she had been diagnosed with PPS (Post-Polio Syndrome). The shock was overwhelming especially since I had never heard of it and had no idea what it entailed. I spent hundreds of hours researching to find out what could possibly happen to me and to prepare myself for the worse. I was disheartened when I read an article that stated every polio victim will eventually contract PPS.

It felt like I had been beaten within an inch of my life when it hit in 2003. Every muscle hurt, and I didn't even want to move. I had learned to deal with pain, but this was indescribable. Picture yourself making your bed in the morning and having to sit (to relieve the muscle pain in your back and legs) three or four times before finishing the task. But with the help of my neurologist, Dr. Cintron, I learned how to eventually manage the pain without the use of drugs by swimming daily if possible.

  I was fitted with a half brace to help my weakened muscles, which I wore for less than a week. It has been on the closet floor ever since. Even at my age, it's not an option. I wore braces for too many years; and if I have to suffer with a little pain by not wearing it, that's what I'll do.

Another surgery in 2005 for a knee replacement went as usual--another failure due to a staph infection. A subsequent surgery eliminated the infection but left me with a wound vac attached to my knee for the next twelve weeks. It didn't stop me from going to cheer on my favorite hockey team, the Washington Capitals, though. TC seemed more worried about the crowds kicking my crutches from under me than I did. Poor guy! I must have driven him crazy at times.

I understand the meaning of pain but have never forgotten those who suffer so much more than I ever have. Knowing that if I abuse my muscles, I will lose them, I have learned my limitations; however, it doesn't stop me from doing what I love best--traveling, riding roller coasters, and spending quality time with my family.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment