Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 17--Wrong Answers!)

I  had so many questions and so few answers with so little time to make what would perhaps be the biggest decision of my life; and it was quite apparent that my mom and dad were not going to give any direction. Unfortunately, they had made that perfectly clear.

When I arrived home from school the next day, though, my mom informed me that Mr. Smith had received the same letter that we had and that he would be coming to visit with us once again. He would be able to give me the answers I had been searching for throughout the night.

Even though I made a list, he was definitely more prepared than I was. He brought with him some basic rules that were to be followed:

1) I was to bring no personal belongings to the hospital except an address book, a pen, and stationery. If I brought anything else, it would be sent home with my parents, along with the clothing I wore to the hospital.

2) I could have as many visitors as I wanted, but they were to follow the very strict visiting hours posted. (Like I would be getting any visitors!)

3) I would not be allowed to talk to my parents on the telephone. However, they could call as often as they liked to check on me or relay messages through the nursing staff, and the nurses would in return tell me about the call. But we could write letters as often as we liked.

4) Packages received would be opened by the staff, and they would determine whether or not I could have the contents. (Stationery would be a safe gift to send.) Perishable items were to be shared with the other four girls in my ward. If flowers were received, they would be placed throughout the children's wing of the hospital.

WHAT? I just didn't get it!  This is going to be much harder than I thought it would be!

He knew that I was upset by the rules and explained to me that all children were to be treated equally; and if one child received hundreds of gifts while others received none, it could cause problems among them as well as hurt feelings. Their goal was to protect us the best they could.

Regarding school, a classroom was available. The hospital would contact my home school and together they would determine which courses I would be taking. The school would send the textbooks, but they needed to be approved by the Spokane School District because an instructor from that district would be issuing the grades, not the hospital.

For the most part, Mr. Smith gave all the wrong answers to my questions. How could I possibly go knowing that I couldn't even talk to my mom and dad on the phone?

THIS IS INSANE!!

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment