Thursday, October 21, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 37--Late Night Call)

An almost whisper of a "Hello" instantly brought the tears. It had been three years since I had heard Vic's voice, as I recalled immediately that he had not answered a single letter of mine. I couldn't imagine why he would be calling now.

With the initial "Hellos" and "How are you?"s out of the way, I began with the unanswered questions I had been carrying with me all this time. "Why didn't you ever answer any of my letters?" "Why didn't you call?" "Did you think that I would forget about you?" "Didn't you even care? or maybe you just found yourself another girlfriend and threw me to the wind without even telling me."

For the next hour he told his tale of what actually had happened since he left me. He had written hundreds of times and received nothing from me in return. He thought I was the one who no longer cared for him. I don't remember exactly how he discovered the scheme, but his mother had intentionally sabotaged our relationship by withholding my letters to him and failing to mail his to me. Her not particularly liking me proved my "6th Sense" was accurate once again; I found her actions utterly loathsome beyond belief.

My heart skipped a beat or two when he asked if he could come visit me. Without a moment's hesitation, I pleaded, "Yes, yes, yes...please do." He would be leaving as soon as we said our good nights and would arrive sometime the following evening, but would call when he was was nearing Cheney.

Watching the sunrise through my dorm window, I thought only of how it would be when we were together again. Would we still feel the same about each other? or Would we find the magic of love had disappeared? Why is it when you want time to travel faster than the speed of lightning, it stands so solemnly still. Evening couldn't come fast enough for me as I waited by the phone for the call.

The call never came that evening...or the next...or the next. It would be 17 years later before I learned the truth about that night.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment