Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 45--A Plaything)

It took him three weeks to find me with no thanks to Shirley, my pool partner, whom he harassed nightly regarding my whereabouts until she finally gave in to his demands. If I had been her, I probably would have done the same.

When he called, I wasn't particularly interested in hearing what he had to say; after all, he was so verbally cruel to me the last time I actually had seen him, that nothing he could do or say would change the way I was feeling. More than likely I could and would forgive him, but even now I can't forget the hurtful words.

During the tense telephone conversation, he casually mentioned that he was injured in a farm-related accident and had just been released from the hospital. He asked if I would come home to see him. Without any hesitation, I said, "Yes, when I have a few days off, I'll be there." What was I thinking? At a most vulnerable time in my life, I open myself up for more heartache. Oh, well, it wouldn't be the first time, and more than likely, not the last.

Even though I wasn't a "list" type of individual, I actually compared the pros and cons of this very odd relationship. He always had a great time wherever he went and whatever he did; I loved listening to his jokes and stories; he was so easy-going and laid back that I had yet to see him lose his temper; my parents adored him; he liked me for who I was and definitely could be the "true friend" I had been seeking my entire life; and I loved him. Why? I had no idea.

The cons included the fact that he had no life-long goals but preferred to take each day as it came; he was shy when it came to revealing his feelings; and he wasn't the quickest at making any sort of decision.

During the entire trip to see him, I weighed again and again the pros and cons. I wondered how true the saying was that "opposites" attract. Could we eventually have a life together? I needed to know more about the last night I was with him before I could even think such thoughts. Besides, I was going to be moving from the area so that could possibly be the tie-breaker. Time would tell, but for now...

I needed some answers. After first seeing him and listening to the horrid tale of his injury, I asked him, "Why did you say those horrible things to me that night outside the Horseshoe Club?"

He wouldn't look me in the eye but quietly revealed, "That was the night you turned from a plaything into a person."

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment