Sunday, October 10, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 8--I Hate You!)

At the beginning of the fifth grade, I was introduced to my worst nightmare--physical education class. When I realized what it entailed, I dreaded every type of activity the teacher would present to the students. Each one always involved "teams and hours of jumping and running." Whenever it was a PE day, I begged my mother to keep me home from school; and when that didn't work, I tried playing sick....to no avail. Wait...I can't wear tennis shoes, that would work! But the principal made an exception and allowed my hard-soled shoes on the gym floor.

Why couldn't anyone understand that it was humiliating to always be the last one picked for a team? always be the last one to run the length of the gym? always be the slowest one to catch or chase a ball? always be the only one to fall down during an activity? I complained to my mother constantly hoping that she would explain to the principal that I was not able to participate. She would just smile at me and say,

"Remember, nobody is perfect. All we ask is that you try...try to do your very best. That's all that matters."

That's when I discovered I couldn't play the game "basketball" which was no surprise to anyone, but I COULD shoot a free throw. So that's what I did whenever I had the opportunity....until I got it perfect because I knew there was going to be a city-wide free throw contest. I was determined to win that contest. There was no rule about how to throw the ball, so I chose to shoot "underhand." I knew exactly where to plant my brown and white "Oxfords" on that line. The day of the tryouts, I shot 10 for 10...not once, but twice...to represent my school at the contest. I didn't win the contest because I only shot 9/10, but I tried to do my very best, and that's all that mattered...until my encounter with Mr. Eckhart, the PE coach and also my 6th grade teacher.

Toward the end of the school year, all the students were to participate in various exercise activities to earn the "Presidential Physical Fitness Award." I was feeling very positive as we started the required exercises. I could do more pull ups and push ups than all the girls in my class and even some of the boys. I was the top performer for sit ups! Yeah for me! What my classmates didn't realize was that I had been doing exercises daily since I was three years old. It paid off! But my mental "high" was about to crumble.

Mr. Eckhart led the class outside to a distant part of the school grounds that was nothing more than a huge section of dirt and clumps of weeds where the students were not allowed to play. He explained that we were to run to the fence and back...which would fulfill our "600 Yard Dash" requirement and that it would be a timed event, just like the others had been. My friend Jacque didn't have to do anything for the award because she had a doctor's excuse. I needed one of those right about now.

Almost in tears I approached him and said, "No, I can't do this. I will fall down. I don't want to do this." His response was, "You ARE going to do this." It was so unlike me, but I raised my voice and insisted, "NO! I am NOT doing this." I could see the anger in his eyes..."You WILL do this or you will be sent to the principal's office." My mother explained to me what would happen if I was ever sent to the office...the punishment at home would be twice what it was in school. I think she used that threat because I was such a good girl and would never get in trouble. This certainly wouldn't make her proud of me...

So I lined up alongside all the others; and tried to think of a plan. I really didn't want to fall down because the kids would laugh at me, and these weeds and dirt clods were everywhere. I decided then and there that "time" didn't matter to me and that I would NOT run my hardest, but just try to finish on two feet. By the time I reached the fence, there were no other children in sight, but that was okay with me...I expected to be last. But as I turned to run back to the starting line, I saw what I didn't expect! There was no one at the finish line. Mr. Eckhart was leading my classmates back into the school building, leaving me alone to finish the challenge.

I HATE YOU! I HATE YOU, MR. ECKHART! not for who you are, but for what you just did to me!

To be continued...











2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful. It certainly expresses with humor some of the situations all of us have encountered. It will be backing up and reading more as time goes by. Job well done my new friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! It's amazing how much we remember as children, when others can't.

    ReplyDelete