Friday, October 15, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 25--Goodbye Oxfords)

Upon returning to school both "crutchless" and "braceless," I immediately saw a drastic change in my classmates' (mainly girls) attitude toward me. They were outwardly happy for me and let me know every chance they had, even those who had never given me a second look in the previous months. I graciously accepted the "cheers," but on the inside I was angry. They were undoubtedly the most ignorant people I knew. Ridding myself of crutches and braces didn't change who I WAS. I'm still the same person, but they never took the time to get to know me. The girls in my class were superficial and shallow. Could they become my "true" friend? Not in my lifetime!

There was also a second change that occurred. While walking the hallway between classes, I never greeted anyone because I was just too busy checking out everyone's shoes. Mom told me on the trip home that I could have a new pair of shoes--a pair of what I called "REAL" shoes.

I didn't want just any pair, though. When I mentioned patent leather shoes to her, she informed me that I needed to be more practical--that patent leather shoes were for special occasions. She reminded me of a fact that I have yet to share with my readers. Polio had left me with one foot slightly smaller than the other and required "mismate" shoes (one of each size), which would be orthopedic shoes; or my parents would have to purchase two pairs of shoes which would be even more expensive.

Nevertheless, my mom knew I had waited so long for this moment that she gave in "just a little." I picked out a pair of somewhat shiny black tie-up orthopedic "dress shoes" which were to be worn to church. At least they didn't look like Oxfords! Why I remember how much they cost, I have no idea, but it was $104 in 1965. It was more than the grocery bill for an entire month.

She also purchased for me a pair of penny loafers which were in style at the time and exactly what I was hoping I could get. I loved those shoes, but more than that, I loved the two new, shiny pennies my father gave me to slip into the waiting empty penny slots. Oh! and how I loved my parents! They were the best!

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment