Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 46--The Mockery)

I settled into my new apartment and new school in a rural eastern Montana community. It was slightly larger than my previous "homestead," and I was somewhat anxious about meeting my students for the first time. Heaven only knows why I thought that my new students would be similar to my previous ones, but I had a rude awakening.

I could handle the little seventh grade girl who walked out of my study hall and mumbled a little too loudly the word "bitch" referring to me because I had just reprimanded her in class for intentionally slamming her textbooks to the floor. Quietly confronting her with "If you are going to call me names behind my back, then you best have the guts to do it to my face, so now is your opportunity," convinced me that the next time she would lower her voice. It didn't upset me because I knew that early teens were in the habit of practicing their "swearing" abilities.

What did upset me, though, was to learn that students through their own actions can subsequently hurt their classmates. I had seen several students mock the way I walk as they moved from class to class. I assumed that it would eventually no longer be funny to others and ignored their behavior. However, several months into the school year I was approached by a little eighth grade girl who was in tears. As I tried to comfort her, she explained that she was sad because an older girl (to remain nameless even though I haven't forgotten) was making fun of me and the way I walked. "You should do something!" the little girl demanded. "Perhaps it's time I should."

Several days later as I was monitoring the halls during lunch hour, I spotted the culprit demonstrating her "walking skills." Now was the time. I approached her and led her by the arm into an empty classroom. "We need to talk." Even though I kept a calm, soft voice, she looked horrified as I began, "If you are making fun of the way I walk because you are trying to hurt my feelings, it's not working. I have been made fun of, laughed at, pointed at, and mocked more in my life than you could ever imagine. And your friends don't think you're funny anymore. It's time to stop please."

I definitely hadn't intended to make her cry, but the tears began as she said, "I'm really sorry. I won't do it again." 

"Good girl, thank you."

And she didn't, at least not that I know about. Hopefully, another obstacle in my new environment had been overcome.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment