Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 42--The Joy Ride)

Why didn't I ask him what made him remember me? That would have been the perfect opportunity to discover what people see in me; but it's like so many times before, I never think to ask the right questions until it's too late. I made up my mind that the next time I saw him, I'd ask; except that he, too, seemed to have disappeared.

Once again I spent a fun-filled summer with my friends living and working in Yellowstone National Park. I was mesmerized the park's beauty and wished I could live there all year long, although I also loved teaching and was looking forward to spending the upcoming school year with my students.

It was two days before school started, and I was busy unpacking my belongings and settling into my home when I heard a knock at the door. I couldn't imagine who would be here so early in the day, but as I reached for the doorknob, I heard his voice. He was back after six months.

"Let's go for a ride," he joyfully remarked.

"Well, I'm rather busy moving."

"It can wait...let's go."

I grabbed a sweater and we were off cruising down the highway. "Where are we going?" I inquired. This was a rather strange series of events, and I was more than totally clueless.

"Let's go to the park."

"What park?"

"Yellowstone...it'll be a great ride."

"You aren't serious, are you?"

"Yep!"

I'm thinking to myself that this will be a 350+ mile joy ride. I'll wait to ask him the question that had been lingering in my thoughts since we first left. There would be plenty of time later...350 miles worth of time to be exact.

He kept me in stitches all the way to the park and home again with jokes, stories from his past, and trivial nonsense that I thoroughly found interesting. I never laughed so hard, though, when he mentioned how "shy" he was. Shy? This fella is anything but shy! Anyone who would yell at a perfect stranger across a pool table is NOT shy!

Sharing a goodnight kiss on my front steps, I remembered the "question" that I was going to ask him, but this was not the right moment...next time...

...hoping that he wouldn't wait another six months before returning.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment