Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 36--The Hello)

Ron asked me to meet him at the library later that afternoon because he needed to get some sleep. It was 8 a.m. and he looked as though he had just crawled out of bed. I couldn't have been more wrong. He was actually a student by day and a musician and disc jockey by night; and he definitely was more eye appealing after he returned later that day.

For the next week we worked diligently on the project though it was sometimes difficult. He was more of a babbler than I was (that's hard to believe, isn't it?); and I was so curious to know all about him. He was born and raised in Spokane, had played in a band since he was 16, had been a DJ since he turned 18, and had never really had a girlfriend because they were "time-consuming" according to him.

After finishing our project and closing down the library late one night, he walked me back to the dorm. While heading to the elevator he spied the baby grand piano in the student lounge, grabbed me by the hand, and literally dragged me into the room. Sitting down at the piano, he asked, "Do you play?" I looked at him and with the straightest face I said, "Monopoly."

I was in awe as he proceeded to pound out song after song; in fact, it turned into a night of "Name That Tune." It was obvious that Three Dog Night was his favorite group. "One is the loneliest number that..." He couldn't really carry a tune, so I did most of the singing...and I think he was quite impressed if I do say so myself.

I couldn't imagine his never having a girlfriend. He was wholesome, sincere, polite, humorous...and after meeting his parents, I knew why he was so genuine. They treated me as though they had known me for years and made me feel like part of the family.

He usually worked two or three nights a week DJ'ing and one night a week doing a "gig" with his band, but spent most other nights with me (and sometimes Janice, my Wacky Weed friend mentioned in a previous blog). Most of our little "date" nights consisted of listening to music at his place, playing "Name That Tune" at the dorm, or attending concerts and gigs in Spokane or on campus.

What I loved the most about him was how comfortable he made me feel about myself. There were times when I was able to forget about the obstacles and struggles of my past. I felt "special" but in an entirely new way. As we stood outside the door of my dorm room, having just returned from a "Paul Revere and the Raiders" concert in Spokane, I thought to myself, "I could love him for the rest of my life." Everything was unbelievably perfect for that one moment.

Once inside my room, I took a shower, chatted with Susan my roommate for a bit, and was more than ready for a date with the "sandman." What seemed like only minutes later, I was awakened by a ringing of the telephone. I glanced at the clock...2:30 a.m. Late night calls usually carried with them bad news.

Drowsily I answered the telephone, "Hello...?"

An almost whisper of a "hello" instantly brought me to tears.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment