Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 43--The Answer)

For the following nine months he would become a temporary fixture in my life. We'd go for "shorter" drives in the country which I loved. As I had no sense of direction once off the main highways, he tried to teach me about sections of land and how not to get lost which I had done on more than one occasion.

We also managed to spend time with each other's family. I understood why he had such a great sense of humor once I met his parents and siblings, who were fun-loving folk unlike I had ever met before. As for my parents, they appeared to adore him, especially my father who would chat for hours and take him into the garage to tinker. Both our families were so opposite and yet so much alike in their own special way.

It was almost a year to the day he first came into my life, and I had yet to ask the question. While watching "The Untouchables" one night, the time seemed right.

"Could I please ask you a question?" I began.

"Yep, just don't make it too hard."

"Why is it that you've never asked what happened to me...why I am the way I am? Aren't you the least bit curious?"

"No, not really."

Wow! That was totally an unexpected response, and I wasn't exactly sure what that meant or what to say next when he continued.

"But if it would make you feel better to tell me, then I'm listening."

As I briefly shared a few tidbits of my life, I watched him intently and saw absolutely no reaction from him. This meant either one of two things:

He liked me for who I was and my disability made no different to him... or

He didn't care because he wouldn't be sticking around for long.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment