Thursday, October 14, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 22--No Way!)

I'm just so happy that my parents weren't there that Tuesday and the following days. It was hard enough motivating with one cast, let alone two. They certainly didn't need to see me struggle; I'm sure they had struggles of their own that were more important than mine. But seeing them for those few days gave me hope and a much more positive attitude. It was definitely the medicine I needed.

Every morning now my bed was pushed to the schoolroom where I would work independently on my studies. My teacher, Mrs. Patterson, spent most of her time with the younger children, which I could definitely understand. The only other person with me behind the room divider was Roy, a freshman. He was the chatterer and obviously not "into" school, unlike myself. Every once in awhile the teacher would appear and give him the big "SHHH" while we chuckled under our breath.

Once the left cast was removed, I had to have physical therapy, which was the worst part of the day for me. Trying to walk on a newly operated foot with crutches while wearing a full-length cast was way too much work. After several weeks, the doctor told me that I was going to be measured for a new brace on my left foot. "WHAT?" This could NOT be part of God's plan for me! I was here to get rid of it, not to get a new one! and on the other leg?  Forget it! He tried to soothe my anger by explaining it was only temporary. It would help me learn to walk again with the cast. Great! A new pair of Oxfords! I can't imagine why I ever believed him, but I did.

Maybe I needed to focus on the good things happening here. The nurses had given us girls a record player for our room along with a stack of records of popular songs so we could jive to the music. The hospital now had a color TV which was the first time I had ever seen one. Wow! and I could even participate in those wheelchair races up and down the halls. Yeah for me! There were always groups of people who would tour the hospital and stop by to visit us children. Not to sound ungrateful, but we unquestionably preferred the local high school football players over the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

I now had been here almost six months, the cast were gone, and I was ready to get outside. It had been so long since I had actually felt the warmth of the sun and the wind in my face. It was time...just get this brace off. And to my surprise, the Friday morning doctors round brought good news. It WAS time for me to go home.

"What about the brace?" I inquired. Once again, I heard the same words, "It's only temporary, but you need to wear it day and night for at least the next three months. We'll give you some exercises to do in the meantime."

The tears flowed uncontrollably...."No way!  No way!"

Every time my life turned the corner, there always seemed to be another obstacle to conquer.

To be continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment