Monday, October 18, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 32--Vanished)

That "slap" in the face had more of an affect on me than I had initially thought. With the braces gone, I felt that the physical struggles had now become mental. So many unanswered questions were haunting me. Why would he slap me? Had I done something wrong to him? What would make someone do that? Was I wrong about my "6th Sense? Years later the truth would be told, but in the meantime...

...Vic and I attended both the West High and Senior High proms, and oh yes!! I did get my first pair of white patent leather shoes for the occasion. Neither Jacque nor the "boy" Ken attended the prom which was a huge weight off my shoulders because I feared what might have or could have happened.

As far as I was concerned, Graduation Day couldn't come soon enough for me. These were supposed to be the best days of my life, and I truly wish they had been. The obstacles and struggles in high school were so different than they were in elementary school. I have yet to attend a high school class reunion and never will...that says it all.

To make matters even worse, Vic's mother and father decided to move to Oregon. I failed to tell my readers that Vic was a year younger than I was; and with his family now planning to leave the area, he wanted to live with his older married sister in Bozeman to finish high school. Naturally his mother said NO. I was a true believer that "Love conquers all" and promised to write every day, which I did. Months went by; and I checked the mail regularly, but no letters ever arrived--not one. It was as if he vanished into thin air and was never a significant part of my life.

Oh yes, my Cousin Bill and Rita were married following high school graduation. Shortly afterward, Bill was drafted and headed for Vietnam which caused a great deal of heartache and problems for the both of them. We found ourselves all in the same boat and just prayed we wouldn't drown.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment