Thursday, October 14, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 21--Come Tuesday)

Yeah!  It's Friday! I'm not sure what time my parents would be arriving, but I wasn't taking any chances. I was ready bright and early, wearing my favorite pink and white dress from the wardrobe closet. There was nothing that could ruin this special day for me....

...until five doctors walked in to do their routine Friday rounds. I thought that they'd check the cast on my right leg and move along, but they had news for me--I was scheduled for surgery this coming Tuesday. What are they talking about? I didn't need any more help. I should be going home soon. They were going to transplant some tendons on my left foot, which I had always considered my "good" foot. Unreal--totally unreal!! They informed me that I would wear the right cast for 12 weeks and the left one for only 6 weeks. That was good news according to them. They also knew that my parents were coming and had agreed to not tell them about the surgery until it was absolutely necessary.

I can still see my parents walking through the door after dinner that Friday. It was only the second time I had ever seen my father cry. The other time was when my grandfather was killed. But I knew these were happy tears. I was determined NOT to tell them about Tuesday. We spent the next two days talking about anything and everything, including my new bedroom that was waiting for me, and school, which I was now absolutely dreading.

The time went by so fast, and before the doctor had a chance to visit with my parents, my mom told me that she knew I was having another surgery on Tuesday. When they first arrived, they had heard the nurses talking about the surgery schedule...and my name being mentioned. Naturally, they felt horrible they couldn't stay longer, but I told them...

"...It's okay if you're not here. It's not pretty, and besides that, I'm a 'big girl' now and can handle anything."

My mom was right...."God has made me a stronger person."

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment