Monday, October 18, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 33--The Sunshine House)

I was determined to forget my past and start a fresh, exciting life as I enrolled at Eastern Montana College that fall. My newly acquired attitude would show that I no longer cared what people thought of me. I was going to be happy, and no one was going to stand in my way. I would talk to anyone and everyone despite what my "6th Sense" might tell me. I would study diligently to become the best teacher ever and  devise a plan to avoid taking any physical education courses. (I still hated those with a passion. Some things just never change!)
Within weeks I had a multitude of acquaintances and friends that included hippies, jocks (athletes), nerds, groupies, party-goers, computer geeks, "flower power" folk, and everyone in between. I particularly liked Sherry, not because she was wearing full-length leg braces and using hand crutches, but because she had the most fantastic giggle and sense of humor of anyone I had ever met in my life. I knew immediately that this girl was a true lover of life!

She was studying to become an occupational therapist and would often "babysit" at the Sunshine House, a home for mentally disadvantaged adults of all ages. She would talk about the residents for hours on end and had invited me to sit with her one night. I jumped at the opportunity because I thought it would be interesting and perhaps I could actually help in some odd way.

There were only six residents living in the home at the time, but that particular night Denise was celebrating her 16th birthday and had invited people from a neighboring group home to her party. Sherry and I were definitely going to be quite busy to say the least. I mingled and chatted with each of the residents as the invited guests began arriving. There seemed to be so many people here, and I was having difficulty remembering everyone's name, but I tried my best.

Denise's party was an absolute success! I felt such a sense of accomplishment and was telling Sherry about it when my past suddenly leaped out in front of me.

I happened to be wearing a somewhat large black onyx ring that evening. One of the birthday guests slowly approached me, took my hand into hers, touched the stone, and began rubbing it ever so gently as though it were the most precious gem in the world. As I gazed into her gleaming eyes glued to the ring, I felt as though I had met her before.

When I asked her if she liked my ring, she responded, "Very, very, beautiful." She had just managed to melt my heart. As I removed the ring from my finger and placed it on hers, I gave her a hug and whispered, "It's yours. I would like you to have it."

"REALLY?"

 "Yes, really, but could you tell me your name, please?"

"Me Sandra"

Yes, it was the Sandra from my childhood years, the Sandra I loved to play with, the Sandra who only came home for the holidays. If only adults could see the world as toddlers like Sandra and I did way back then...loving us for who we are, not judging us for being different, and remembering that we are "God's special children."

To be continued...

1 comment:

  1. am really enjoying your blog Arlinda. Is this a true story then of your life? just wondering. You seem to really have a gift for this. (sherry c)

    ReplyDelete