Sunday, October 17, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 28--The Boyfriend)

The blind date turned out to be much more than I had anticipated. The phrase "tall, dark, and handsome" didn't begin to describe Victor (Vic). He was all of that and a thousand times more. He was 6'2, lean and well-built, and had the most eye-catching smile. He seemed to be rather shy, though, which was fine with me because that meant he wouldn't be playing "20 Questions."

We saw each other often but it was nothing compared to today's ritual of "dating." My parents wouldn't allow me to see him during the school week, and I could only go out one weekend night at least until I turned 16. Actually I preferred that because this whole scene was so new to me. My parents never talked about him much, but I had the impression that they liked him.

His family was a different story. His father was a truck driver so it was awhile before I met him, but I liked him. He was a typical dad. As for Vic's mother, the first time I met her, my 6th sense came roaring to the front line. This woman obviously did NOT like me for some reason. I could feel it--the tension every time I walked through their front door.

Because Vic had a much younger brother, he would frequently babysit on the weekends. If that were the case, we would just hang out at his place to watch TV or listen to music.

One such Saturday night, Vic was making us some popcorn (the Jiffy kind that you had to continually shake on the stove or it would burn) when the telephone rang. He asked me to answer it.

"Hello, Smith residence." CLICK! A hang-up call. I didn't find that too strange. Someone must have just dialed the wrong number. But shortly after that, it rang again.

"Hello, Smith residence." CLICK!

The third time it rang, Vic answered. "Hello...yes...no...yes" and so the conversation went for several minutes. At first he avoided looking at me while chatting, but then rolled his eyes in disgust. "I have to go now. See you at school. Bye."

I've always been the curious type and had to know who was calling him and why they hung up when I answered the first several times.

"It was Jacque. She calls here all the time," he muttered.

"Say that again, please."

"It was Jacque."

I could feel the tears welling inside as I kissed him goodbye, grabbed my jacket, and walked out the door. "I'll be back soon."

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment