Monday, October 11, 2010

Conquering Obstacles (Part 9--The Song)

I adored Mrs. Chapel, my music teacher, who came to our room only once a month because she also taught at several other elementary schools as well as the junior high school I would soon attend. I eagerly awaited her visits because she always brought with her surprises such as treats, new musical games to play, new songs to learn, and her metronome, which I found fascinating.

On one occasion, she informed the class that she was searching for someone "special" to participate in an activity she was developing. Each student would audition by singing several lines from a favorite song. Did she just say "special?" That would be ME! I could do this, and I knew exactly which song I would choose because I had it memorized and had played it for hours on my organ. It was my very favorite song.

As I waited for my turn, I kept rehearsing it in my mind, wanting to sing it perfectly. I can do this! When Mrs. Chapel signaled for me to begin, the words just rang out:

When you walk through a storm
Hold your head up high
And don't be afraid of the dark

At the end of the storm
Is a golden sky
And the sweet silver song of the lark

When I had finished, I saw that Mrs. Chapel was signaling for me to continue, so I belted out the entire song. All I heard was a huge applause coming from my peers and my teacher at the conclusion. I felt the happiest I had felt in a very long time. Before she left that afternoon, she announced that I had been selected to participate in her project as long as my parents approved. Yeah for me! I DID IT!  I DID IT!

For the next three years I spent most of my Sunday afternoons at Mrs. Chapel's home practicing along with the other chosen few. We performed at events throughout the city as well as in churches and other schools, and would sometimes hold our own junior high concerts.

It wasn't until years later that I realized why I loved "I'll Never Walk Alone" so much. It was me...my life...and perhaps a sign from that angel watching from above.

To be continued...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment